Having inspiring individuals throughout our time to serve as a means of bringing us back to what matters, and the goodness of it at that, is a blessing. To me, Rumi is one of those people.
A 13th-century Persian poet, Rumi was also known for being an Islamic scholar, jurist, theologian, and aSufi mystic. His work generated an immense following for its ability to break barriers, as it transcended location, ethnicities, time, language and spirituality.
Shahram Shiva, an award-winning translator and scholar of Rumi, put it best when he said, “The world of Rumi is neither exclusively the world of a Sufi, nor the world of a Hindu, nor a Jew, nor a Christian; it is a state of an evolved human. A human who is not bound by cultural limitations; one who touches every one of us. Today Rumi’s poems can be heard in churches, synagogues, Zen monasteries, as well as in the downtown New York art/performance/music scene.”
The amount of topics this incredible poet has covered is baffling yet beautiful. It is, indeed, what has drawn so many people from so many corners of the world in; he is relatable to say the least. He has garnered much respect through the power of his words, especially when it comes to the power of love.
Below, you will find 20 quotes on love that encompass both the necessity of loving from within and for oneself, as well as the connection between two people.
1. “Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.”
2. “This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.”
3. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
4. “A thousand half-loves must be forsaken to take one whole heart home.”
5. “However much we describe and explain love, when we fall in love we are ashamed of our words.”
6. “Love is the bridge between you and everything.”
7. “If you find me not within you, you will never find me. For I have been with you, from the beginning of me.”
8. “Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer.”
9. “Reason is powerless in the expression of Love.”
10. “Only from the heart can you touch the sky.”
11. “Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”
12. “I am yours. Don’t give myself back to me.”
13. “When I am with you, we stay up all night. When you’re not here, I can’t go to sleep. Praise God for those two insomnias! And the difference between them.”
14. “I want to see you. Know your voice. Recognize you when you first come ’round the corner. Sense your scent when I come into a room you’ve just left. Know the lift of your heel, the glide of your foot. Become familiar with the way you purse your lips then let them part, just the slightest bit, when I lean in to your space and kiss you. I want to know the joy of how you whisper ‘more.’”
15. “In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest where no-one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that sight becomes this art.”
16. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.”
17. “Two there are who are never satisfied — the lover of the world and the lover of knowledge.”
18. “Wherever you are, and whatever you do, be in love.”
19. “Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray.”
20. “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I’ll meet you there.”